Areas We Serve
Griffin Funding is dedicated to serving our Montana veterans. We strive to help them achieve their goals of owning a home in the Treasure State, including the following areas:
- Four Corners
- East Helena
Don’t see your location listed? That’s not a problem. We’re licensed in the entire state of Montana, so we can help you get through the Montana home loans process easily, no matter where your new home is located.
How Do VA Loans Work in Montana
VA home loans are offered by private lenders, not directly through the Department of Veterans Affairs. However, the VA does guarantee these loans—in the case that there is a default on the loan—for qualified service members and veterans, meaning that their involvement is required during certain aspects of the mortgage process.
Note that since private lenders are responsible for making these loans, it’s important that you work with a lender licensed in the state of Montana.
Overall the process for VA home loans in Montana doesn’t vary much no matter which state the house is located in. However, you will have to meet the VA’s requirements and the lender’s requirements to get approved for a VA home loan in Montana. Follow these steps:
- Get a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) from the VA. You can do this by calling the VA or we can assist you with your request. Note that the process for obtaining your certificate can take up to six weeks.
- Submit your application with Griffin Funding for a VA loan, so that we can begin the underwriting process.
- Once our underwriting process is complete, you’ll receive a quote. You can lock in this quote immediately.
- We may request additional information from you, including bank statements and tax returns.
- The VA requires an inspection and appraisal because you can buy the home.
- Once the home has passed the inspection and appraisal, we’ll finalize your loan, and you can purchase your home.
Follow this link for more information about Griffin VA loans.
VA Loan Advantages in Montana
VA loans are a federal program, so you can expect the same benefits no matter which state you choose to live in, including:
- No down payment
- No private mortgage insurance (PMI) required
- More flexible qualification requirements and lower minimum credit scores
VA Loan Limits in Montana
Montana borrowers with their full VA loan entitlement are not restricted by VA loan limits. These individuals can borrow as much as the lender allows without needing a downpayment.
If loan limits do still apply to you, then your limit in Montana will be determined by the county where your new home is located. Currently, all Montana VA loan limits are $548,250.
Requirements for the Montana Veterans Home Loan Program
Requirements for VA home loans in Montana are different from the requirements for conventional loans. Because it’s a federal loan program—even though the federal government does not directly involve itself in the loan process—the requirements will remain similar no matter where you live or your lender.
Low Credit Score Requirement
The VA itself does not set a required minimum credit score. Lenders set their own credit scores for these loans, but typically these requirements are lower than those for other types of loans. Griffin Funding requires a credit score of at least 580 for a VA loan.
One of the most important factors in determining your eligibility, your income will also be verified through tax returns and pay stubs.
As mentioned previously, the VA is heavily involved in the loan approval process. They have their own requirements, including:
Before you can be approved for the loan, the VA will have someone appraise your house so that they know how much the house is worth versus how much you’ll be paying for it.
Active Duty Members & Veterans
Both active duty service members and veterans must meet the minimum active duty service requirements as outlined by the VA.
Learn more about eligibility and how to get a VA home loan to see if it’s the right mortgage opportunity for you.
Montana VA Loan Process
If you’re a veteran or member of the military and you want to live in Montana, make sure to check out all of our VA mortgage programs.
- VA Purchase Loan: A VA purchase loan can be used to build, buy, or renovate any Montana home as long as the property serves as the primary residence.
- VA Streamline Refinance Loan (IRRRL): An interest rate reduction refinance loan (IRRRL) allows veterans and service members to refinance their homes for better rates.
- VA Cash-Out Refinance Loan: Cash-out loans allow veterans to refinance their home while turning equity into cash.
Apply for a VA Loan in Montana
If you’re a veteran, you might not have to jump through so many hoops when it comes to getting a mortgage. Instead, you may qualify for a Montana VA loan, which allows you to purchase your home with no money down.
Are you ready to become a homeowner? Complete an application online for one of our Montana loans today. We provide a streamlined process so that active-duty service members and veterans can learn more about their loan options and find the best one for their needs.