Areas We Serve
Griffin Funding helps customers throughout the Sunshine State, with service areas including:
- St. Petersburg
- Port St. Lucie
- Cape Coral
- Fort Lauderdale
If you’re interested in applying or refinancing a VA loan in Florida, contact us today at (855) 394-8288.
How Do VA Loans Work in Florida
In order to utilize Florida VA home loan benefits, you must be an active duty servicemember, veteran, or the spouse of a military member who has passed away in the line of duty or due to a service-related injury. While this is the general qualifier, there are other VA home loan requirements in Florida (and other states you may be considering buying in) based on both the Department of Veteran Affairs’ guidelines and the borrowing qualifications of your mortgage provider.
As far as the VA is concerned, the parameters for VA loan eligibility revolve around the duration of service, duty status, and character of service. Individuals who have been discharged typically do not qualify. However, there are certain circumstances that may qualify for an exception, such as being discharged due to hardship or a medical condition.
When it comes to borrower requirements, these guidelines typically pertain to your financial circumstances. At Griffin Funding, we have the following requirements for those who want to apply for a VA home loan in Florida:
- Certificate of Eligibility (which we can help you obtain)
- 580 FICO score or greater
- Must meet income qualification (not required for VA IRRRL)
- Pest inspection (not required for VA IRRRL)
- VA appraisal (not required for VA IRRRL)
There are also standard waiting periods for recent credit events, including foreclosure and bankruptcy. If you believe you qualify for a VA mortgage in Florida based on these guidelines, submit an application or speak with one of our knowledgeable loan officers to get the process started.
VA Loan Benefits in Florida
VA loans are designed as a benefit that makes achieving homeownership easier for veterans and service members. If you qualify for a veteran home loan in Florida, it will likely be your best option when weighing the pros and cons of different mortgages. Some of the most notable benefits of VA loans include:
- 0% down payment
- Lower interest rates
- Fewer closing costs
- 0% funding fees for borrowers with VA disabilities and service-related injuries
- No private mortgage insurance
- Reduced seasoning on credit events
- Ability to be transferred to eligible buyers
What Is the VA Loan Limit in Florida?
It’s important to clarify that VA home loan limits apply to how much you can borrow without having to pay a down payment, not how much you can borrow in total. However, if you exceed the limit that applies to you, you will have to put a certain amount of money down on the home up-front.
The VA loan limits in Florida that apply to you will depend on the county you are buying or refinancing a home in and your VA entitlement. To determine your maximum VA entitlement you need to know whether your entitlement is fully intact or partially used. If your full entitlement is intact, there are no loan limits to worry about. However, if you have used part of your entitlement and have not yet restored it, you will be subject to the 2020 loan limits.
Typically, the maximum VA loan amount in Florida will be up to four times the amount of your entitlement.
What Is the Current VA Loan Rate?
Mortgage rates are constantly fluctuating based on a variety of economic factors as well as your personal circumstances. Lenders also decide their own loan rates. As such, the current VA loan rate depends on these factors and will be unique to your situation.
At Griffin Funding, we strive to offer competitive interest rates on our VA home loans in Florida that allow you to spend less on your mortgage over the lifetime on the loan. By submitting an application, one of our loan officers can provide you with a quote on a Florida VA home loan.
Types of VA Mortgage Programs
We offer several VA mortgage programs, but the best suited option for you depends on your goals:
- VA Purchase Loan: A VA purchase loan is recommended for borrowers who want to purchase, build, repair, or adapt a home.
- VA Streamline Refinance Loan: Also known as an interest rate reduction loan (IRRRL), VA streamline refinance loans are recommended for borrowers who want to refinance their current VA home loan. The benefit of this loan type is that you can lower your interest rate and possibly your monthly payment, saving your money on your mortgage over time.
- VA Cash-Out Refinance Loan: A VA cash-out refinance loan is recommended for borrowers who want to refinance a home loan. There are several differences between a VA cash-out refinance loan and an IRRRL; a cash-out refinance loan can be used to refinance a traditional loan and it allows you to turn your home’s equity into cash that can be used to help cover other expenses.
For more information on Griffin funding VA loans, discuss your options with a loan officer. We are more than happy to answer any questions you may have, provide our professional opinions on which VA home loan in Florida is best suited for your needs, and help you complete the approval process within less than 30 days.
Apply for a VA Loan in Florida
Put yourself in the best position for purchasing or refinancing a home with a Florida VA home loan. Begin the application process today to find out if you qualify and take advantage of this benefit for your service. At Griffin Funding, we are proud to help service members, veterans, and their families find a mortgage solution that helps make their dream of homeownership attainable.
Apply for a VA loan online or call us today at (855) 394-8288 to get started.