Former military service members and active-duty members are entitled to benefits provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs. While your benefits are guaranteed through the VA, but provided through VA mortgage lenders in Georgia like Griffin Funding. Learn more about our VA loan program and how you can qualify.
Areas We Serve
Griffin Funding is proud to offer VA home loans for Georgia veterans and active-duty service members. We’ll help you through the mortgage process from the beginning to the end, so you’ll be one step closer to purchasing the home of your dreams. We service borrowers in the following areas:
- Johns Creek
- Sandy Springs
- And more!
We’re licensed to operate in the entire state of Georgia, so no matter where you’re looking to call home, we can help you finance your house.
How Do VA Loans Work in Georgia?
As stated, VA loans are offered by non-bank VA mortgage lenders in Georgia like Griffin Funding. The VA does not directly offer loans. However, they do work with mortgage lenders closely when it comes to VA loans because they have their own set of requirements that differ from your lender’s.
The VA loan process is the same no matter where you reside because it is a federal program, even though the government doesn’t directly provide the loans. Since the VA has its own set of requirements along with your lender’s, there are a lot of factors that go into approval.
Here are the general steps you’ll need to take when applying for a VA loan in Georgia:
- Contact the VA to receive a Certificate of Eligibility (COE). This form tells your mortgage lender that you are eligible for the VA loan based on a number of requirements imposed by the VA itself. The certificate typically takes up to six weeks to arrive by mail. Griffin Funding can also help you request your COE.
- Submit your VA home loan application. Once you submit your application, we’ll begin our underwriting process, which verifies all of the information that you gave us.
- You’ll receive a custom quote from us based on your information. You can then lock in that quote immediately to secure your interest rate. Before you get your quote, we may request additional information from you, depending on our findings.
- Have a pest inspection and appraisal. The VA requires you to have the home you want to buy inspected and appraised before they can sign off on the loan.
- Once the home has been appraised, your loan will be finalized.
Check out this page for more information about Griffin VA loans.
VA Loan Advantages in Georgia
VA loans are considered benefits for your service, and as such, have unique advantages. Since VA loans are backed federally, you can expect the same advantages no matter where your home is located. The top three benefits of VA loans include:
- 0% down payment
- No private mortgage insurance (PMI) is required
- Lower minimum credit scores
VA Loan Limits in Georgia
VA home loan borrowers in Georgia who have their full VA loan entitlement are not restricted by any loan limits. Those lenders can borrow as much as their lender lets them without the need for a down payment.
If you don’t have your full VA entitlement, then loan limits in Georgia will still apply to you. The max VA loan amount in Georgia is $548,250 as of January 1st, 2021. This means that your loan cannot exceed that amount without a down payment. If you need a loan for more than the limit, you’ll have to make a down payment.
The good news is that homes are very affordable in Georgia, so there are plenty of options below the loan limit.
Requirements for VA Home Loans in Georgia
Griffin Funding’s requirements for Georgia VA loans include:
- A 580 credit score. Griffin Funding allows borrowers to have a credit score as low as 580 for VA loans, making them more accessible.
- Proof of service. To apply you must be a veteran, current service member, or a surviving spouse and must be able to provide proof via a COE.
- Income. You must also provide proof that you meet the income requirements.
Learn more about VA eligibility and how to get a VA home loan.
Types of VA Mortgage Programs
As trusted VA loan lenders in Georgia, Griffin Funding has a variety of mortgage programs for veterans and members of the military, including:
VA Purchase Loan: With this loan, you can buy, build, or renovate a home that will serve as your primary residence.
VA Streamline Refinance Loan (IRRRL): An interest rate reduction refinance loan (IRRRL) offers veterans the opportunity to refinance their homes for better rates that can save them money.
VA Cash-Out Refinance Loan: With a cash-out loan, veterans can refinance their home while turning equity into cash which can then be used to pay other debts, such as credit card, medical bills, and student loans.
Apply for a VA Loan in Georgia
Take advantage of the many VA loan programs available so that you can buy a house with no money down. Unlike traditional loans, you can save your money instead of putting it down on the house and use it to pay back your loan month-to-month.
If you’re a current or former member of the military, find out if you qualify for a VA home loan in Georgia by completing an application online. Our team is here to help you make the mortgage process as easy as possible so you can move forward with your homeownership goals.