Foreign National Mortgages
If you’re a foreign national in the United States, buying real estate can seem like a nearly impossible task. However, foreign national mortgages can make it easier for noncitizens to secure a mortgage and purchase a property. These types of mortgages allow you to pursue the American dream regardless of your citizenship status.
At Griffin Funding, we offer foreign national mortgages with competitive interest rates. Our skilled mortgage specialists can help you explore different foreign national loan programs and ultimately secure foreign national financing. Keep reading to learn more about the different types of foreign national mortgages and the requirements for securing one.
Can Foreign Nationals Get a Mortgage in the U.S.?
Yes, foreign nationals can get a mortgage in the United States. By applying for a foreign national loan from Griffin Funding, noncitizens living in the U.S. can get the funds they need to purchase a real estate.
What Is a Foreign National Loan Program?
A foreign national loan program is a lending option for nonresidents in the United States who are looking to purchase a house, whether it be used as an investment property or homebase while visiting. This program is designed to help foreign nationals in the U.S. navigate the unique challenges they may face throughout the course of the homebuying process.
Foreign national loan programs generally allow nonresidents to secure a mortgage without a Social Security number, green card, or visa. Additionally, borrowers are not required to have a FICO score to provide proof of credit. Instead, borrowers may demonstrate creditworthiness through alternative means or submit a credit report from their country of origin.
Foreign national loans are also known as ITIN loans or non-permanent resident alien loans. These types of programs make it possible for noncitizens in the U.S. to purchase property, even if they lack documentation that’s traditionally required to secure a home loan.
What Are the Types of Foreign National Mortgages?
Griffin Funding offers a variety of loan options for foreign nationals through our non-QM loan programs. Some of our lending services that can benefit foreign nationals include:
- Bank statement loans
- Debt Service Coverage Ratio loans
- Asset-based loans
- Interest only loans
- Recent credit event loans
Requirements for a Foreign National Loan
Foreign national loans have several unique benefits that make securing funding easier for noncitizens attempting to purchase a home. While borrowers may not need a Social Security number, green card, or FICO score to get a loan, they do need to meet certain requirements. For instance, borrowers must generally provide the following documentation:
- Proof of income
- Visa or visa waiver
- VISA Types Allowed: B-1, B-2, H-2, H-3, I, J-1, J-2, 0-2, P-1, P-2, TN NAFTA, Laser Visa
- Proof of creditworthiness
Borrowers who don’t have qualifying credit and those without a Social Security number or Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) typically must provide three active and open trade-lines with at least two years of history.
It must also be noted that if you don’t currently have a FICO score, you won’t be able to receive a loan if you have derogatory marks against your credit. Additionally, borrowers from OFAC sanctioned countries will not be able to qualify for foreign national loans.
How to Apply for a Foreign National Loan
To apply for a foreign national loan, there are several steps you will need to complete. Here is a general overview of what the lending process looks like at Griffin Funding:
- Discovery meeting: One of our mortgage strategists will meet with you to evaluate your financial situation and discuss the best loan options for you.
- Loan application: Applications can be completed via phone or our online digital mortgage portal.
- Lock in your rate: We will lock in an interest rate based on the terms in the loan application.
- Application and disclosures: We will send you the initial application and any disclosures either online or via physical mail.
- Supporting documentation: We will provide you with a checklist of any documentation you need to submit to us.
- Loan process: At this stage, we process and underwrite your loan.
- Appraisal and pest inspection: We will order an appraisal of your current or potential home and can assist you in finding a pest inspector.
- Loan approval: After approving your loan, we will reach out if we need any more items or documents.
- Final loan document signing: You will be able to review the terms of the loan and sign it in the presence of a notary.
- Loan funding/recording: Refinance loans have a 3-day waiting period before being funded, while purchase loans do not.
Our loan specialists will help guide you through the process.
Highlights of a Foreign National Mortgage
A foreign national mortgage provides borrowers with a number of unique benefits. Some of the primary highlights to consider when it comes to foreign national loans include:
- Certain documentation isn’t required
- Ability to finance second homes and investment properties
- Secure loans up to $5 million
- Non-warrantable condos are eligible for financing
- Debt service coverage ratio loans available for investment properties
- Unlimited cash out
- No U.S. FICO required (must provide evidence of three active and open trade-lines with a two-year history)
Choosing a Foreign National Mortgage Lender
If you’re considering applying for a foreign national mortgage, it’s important to choose your lender wisely. Here at Griffin Funding, we work closely with borrowers to help them choose the type of loan program to meet their needs and secure a competitive interest rate. Our straightforward lending process uses the latest technology to make sure everything is as quick and convenient as possible on your end. Additionally, our experienced mortgage specialists are always ready to answer your questions and guide you through the lending process.
Griffin Funding offers a wide array of lending services, so you can find an option that meets your needs. Whether you’re in search of a non-QM mortgage or a traditional home loan, we can assist you in securing a mortgage that fits your particular situation.
Apply for a Foreign National Loan Today
A foreign national loan can be a great option for non-citizens looking to purchase real estate in the U.S. Work with the mortgage specialists at Griffin Funding to secure the financing you need. To get started, contact us today by calling (855) 394-8288. You can also complete an application online to quickly find out which lending programs you may qualify for.