What is a VA Home Loan?
A VA home loan Maine is a loan that is processed and supported by the official VA, or the Department of Veteran Affairs for qualifying individuals. VA home loans in Maine make it easier for active service members, veterans, as well as widowed spouses of servicemen and women to apply for and obtain a loan for a home mortgage.
Types of VA Home Loans
Those unfamiliar with VA mortgage loans in Maine or the process of applying for a Maine VA loan might also be unfamiliar with the different types of VA loans available. From a traditional VA purchase loan to a VA cash-out refinance loan, there are a few VA loan types to familiarize yourself with before choosing a loan that is right for you.
VA Purchase Loan
A VA purchase loan is a standard VA loan that is used for those who are interested in purchasing a new home. Those who qualify include active service members of the military as well as veterans. A traditional VA loan is useful to help find lower interest rates, zero down payment, and improved financing solutions.
VA Cash-Out Refinance Loan
A VA Cash-Out Refinance Loan is an option for qualifying veterans to refinance an existing VA loan that results in a lower interest rate. With a VA cash-out refinance loan, qualifying applicants may also have the ability to refinance up to 90 percent of their property’s total value. In some instances, in exchange for higher interest rates, refinancing up to 100% of a home’s value is possible.
VA Streamline Refinance Loan
A VA Streamline Refinance Loan (IRRRL), or an interest rate reduction refinance loan, is an optimal choice for veterans and service members who have already established a VA loan. A VA streamline refinance loan eliminates various steps such as income qualification checks, pest inspections, and even out-of-pocket costs for
VA Home Loan Benefits
Obtaining a VA loan allows those who qualify to obtain mortgages at current VA rates. However, there are also additional benefits to applying for VA loans Maine, such as:
- No down payment is required
- A portion of the loan is guaranteed by the Department of Veterans Affairs
- Lower interest rates than traditional mortgages and loans
- Limited or reduced closing costs
- Eliminates the need for privatized mortgage insurance
- No penalty fee for those who pay off their mortgage earlier
- Flexibility with loan requirements helps veterans, spouses of service members, and active service members to streamline the process of applying for and obtaining the loan they need with less of a hassle.
Who is eligible for a VA Home Loan in Maine?
Before you can apply for Maine mortgage loans, you will need to determine whether or not you qualify for Maine VA mortgage loans based on your current and previous occupations. Anyone who is interested in applying for a home loan in Maine should keep the following eligibility requirements in mind:
- You will require a certificate of eligibility before a loan can be processed and/or approved.
- You must meet the minimum active-duty service requirements. For some, this may require at least 24 continuous months of service or a full period of active duty (at least 90 days) must be completed. 181+ continuous days of service during peacetime.
- 6 years of service in the National Guard or in the Reserves.
- Widowed spouse (who is un-remarried) of an active service member or veteran who was KIA, or Killed in Action. Those who are also missing a spouse who has served in the military may also qualify.
To learn more about current eligibility requirements for VA home loans in Maine, visit the official VA.org website.
How Do Maine VA Home Loans Work?
Those who qualify for VA home loans will receive a guaranteed loan provided by private lenders and mortgage companies. The VA, or the Department of Veteran Affairs, also guarantees a select portion of the loan an individual is granted.
In the state of Maine, qualifying veterans or active service members will be required to provide a Reasonable Tangible Net Benefit Disclosure, which can prevent mortgage companies from preying on potentially vulnerable veteran homeowners.
In Maine, the typical appraisal time is approximately 10 business days for residential homes. The standard appraisal cost of an individual family home in Maine is approximately $800.
What is the VA Loan Limit in Maine?
While there is not technically or legally a VA loan limit, there are various limitations that are set in place by each county that permits VA loans with $0 down payment options. In the state of Maine, the following limits are currently in place for certain counties:
- Androscoggin County $484,350
- Aroostook County $484,350
- Cumberland County $484,350
- Franklin County $484,350
- Hancock County $484,350
- Kennebec County $484,350
- Knox County $484,350
- Lincoln County $484,350
- Oxford County $484,350
- Penobscot County $484,350
- Piscataquis County $484,350
- Sagadahoc County $484,350
- Somerset County $484,350
- Waldo County $484,350
- Washington County $484,350
- York County $484,350
Before you begin searching for a new home in any county in Maine, it is highly advisable to familiarize yourself with potential limitations, especially if you are seeking a $0 down payment VA loan.
Apply for a VA Home Loan in Maine Today
If you are interested in investing in a new home of your own or if you are thinking of refinancing, turn to Griffin Funding for the VA mortgage loans in Maine that suit you best. Griffin Funding has the experience and knowledge necessary to streamline the process of applying for and managing a range of VA loans in Maine, regardless of your current military status.
To learn more about VA services in Maine and to get started with the application process, view more resources about Griffing funding VA loans here. To begin the application process for the VA loan that is right for you, click here.