What is a VA Home Loan?
A VA loan is a type of loan insured by the Department of Veteran Affairs (VA) to offer housing assistance and allow veterans, service members, and surviving spouses the opportunity to purchase a home with fewer restrictions. VA loans in Ohio can be used to purchase or build a home or refinance an existing mortgage with as little as 0% down and better rates than traditional mortgages. In addition, with VA loans, no private mortgage insurance (PMI) can make your monthly payments higher.
VA home loans in Ohio are better than traditional Ohio mortgage loans because they do not require a down payment, while traditional loans may require at least 3.5-20% down on the purchase of a home. In addition, your loan is backed by the government, offering more competitive VA home loan rates in Ohio.
Types of VA Home Loans
Griffin Funding is a premier VA home loan lender in Ohio. We offer several VA mortgage programs, including:
- VA purchase loan: The VA purchase loan allows borrowers to buy, build, repair, or transform a home. This type of Ohio VA loan offers competitive interest rates and better terms than traditional mortgage loans.
- VA cash-out refinance loan: A VA cash-out refinance loan can assist service members in refinancing their homes and turning equity into cash, which can be used for large purchases or to pay off debt. With this type of Ohio VA loan, your primary home loan does not have to be a VA loan, allowing you to easily access your home’s equity. You can borrow up to 100% of your home’s value.
- VA streamline refinance loans (IRRRL): A streamline refinance loan allows you to refinance your existing VA mortgage to help you lower your VA rates and reduce your monthly payment.
Which type of Ohio VA loan is right for you depends on your unique circumstances. If you want to build or purchase a home, you will need the VA purchase loan. However, if you want to refinance your existing home loan, you can use a VA cash-out refinance or streamline refinance loans, depending on your original home loan.
Griffin Funding is a leading VA home loan lender in Ohio. If you have any questions about any VA loan options, you can contact us to answer any of your questions. Want to learn more about how Griffin Funding can help you secure a home loan? Browse more resources about Griffin Funding VA loans.
VA Home Loan Benefits
VA loans benefit past and present service members, and their spouses can receive. Since the Department of Veterans Affairs federally backs them, you will get the same advantages in Ohio that you would anywhere else in the country.
The benefits of Ohio VA loans include the following:
- 0% down payment
- Lower minimum credit score
- Lower interest rates
- No PMI required
- Flexible loan requirements
- No restrictions when selling or refinancing
- Can be used for many types of properties
- Cash-out up to 100%
Ohio VA home loans do not require PMI or a sizable down payment, allowing veterans and service members to save on their home loans and put their money to work elsewhere, such as paying off debts or investing it into the future.
Who is Eligible for a VA Home Loan in Ohio?
To be eligible for a VA home loan in Ohio, you must obtain a certificate of eligibility from the Department of Veterans Affairs. In general, eligibility depends on the duty status, service length, and service type. In addition, dishonorably discharged service members will not qualify.
To receive eligibility, you must either be a:
- A service member who has served at least 90 days during wartime or 181 days during peacetime
- National Guard or Reserves member for at least six years of service
- Widow as a result of service-related injuries and cannot be remarried
- Spouse of an active duty service member who has been listed as a prisoner of war or missing in action for at least 90 days
How Do Ohio VA Home Loans Work?
The Department of Veterans Affairs insures VA loans, but they are made by private lenders like banks and mortgage companies like Griffin Funding. The VA guarantees a portion of the loan, so the borrower requires no down payment. The guaranteed portion of the loan is also known as an entitlement.
Understanding Ohio VA loans is relatively simple. The loan process is the same for most states but may vary depending on the Ohio VA home loan lender. The general process includes the following:
- Obtaining a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) from the VA. Griffin Funding can help you with the process.
- Submitting your online application
- Locking in your interest rate after receiving your quote
- Providing additional information and documentation if needed
- Scheduling inspection and appraisal before buying the home
- Reviewing final loan documents and finalizing the loan
The VA requires an appraisal before you can purchase the home to determine that it meets the minimum property requirements to ensure the home is safe and free of potential hazards.
What is the VA Loan Limit in Ohio?
There are currently no VA loan limits in Ohio for borrowers with full entitlement, so Ohio VA loan borrowers with their full entitlement do not have a limit to the amount they can borrow to purchase a home.
However, limits may still apply to you if you do not have your full entitlement. Your limit is determined by the city and state where you live. As of 2022, the VA loan limit in Ohio is $726,200, regardless of county.
Apply for a VA Home Loan in Ohio Today
Griffin Funding is dedicated to ensuring the mortgage application process is easy and stress-free for veterans and service members. We believe in a personalized approach to mortgage lending and can help you secure the best loan with the most competitive interest rates. Ready to apply for a VA loan in Ohio? Complete our online application or speak to one of our mortgage specialists to get a quote.
We believe in supporting our service members beyond the mortgage industry. Griffin Funding sponsors Shelter to Soldier (STS), a nonprofit that rescues shelter dogs and trains them as service dogs for combat veterans with PTSD.